We are excited to announce dramatic changes to our Middle School program for this coming Spring, to improve competition levels and competitive balance, and to align the program more closely with the FCIAC High School programs that the Middle School players will graduate into.
Most importantly, the Middle School program remains open to all players currently attending Middle School who are age-eligible for Babe Ruth Baseball (i.e., who were born prior to September 1, 2006), however, teams will no longer represent or be organized by their middle schools. Instead, all interested baseball players who currently attend a Stamford Middle School, reside in Stamford, and were born prior to September 1, 2006, should register for Middle School Baseball on this website (registration at this stage is free), and then need to attend one of the tryouts listed below.
Importantly, while we still call this our Middle School program, that name no longer means that the players will play for their school, and the program no longer has any ties to the Stamford Board of Education, nor will any of the activities be coordinated by or through the schools.
Instead, all registered players will attend the tryouts listed below based on their districted high school, which is determined by their home address. Once all players have tried out, our Spring Middle School teams will be chosen as follows:
There will be two travel "varsity" teams - the Stamford Knights and the Stamford Vikings - formed to play in the Spring "A" Division of the Greater Hudson Valley Baseball League: the Stamford Knights will exclusively consist of players who live in the Stamford High School district; the Stamford Vikings will consist exclusively of players who live in the Westhill High School district. In addition, there will be a Stamford Warriors "JV" team chosen from players who are not chosen for the Knights or the Vikings, which will play in the Greater Hudson Valley "B" division. The Stamford Warriors team will choose players regardless of which high school district they live in.
Middle School players who do not make any of the Knights, Vikings or Warriors teams will go back into a pool of players, and will then be drafted onto balanced teams that will compete in the Fairfield County Babe Ruth Spring League.
The following is a general outline of the program:
- All players must register (at no cost) on our website prior to tryouts - REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN
- Tryouts will be March 2nd & 9th (see below) - All registered players must attend a tryout
- Fees will be $400 per player for the GHVBL teams, and $250 per player for the Fairfield Babe Ruth teams
- First game will be March 29, regular season ends May 21. Playoffs will begin May 22 and end June 2
- Approximately a 12 game season plus playoffs
- Roster size 13 to 15
- Home fields will be: Cubeta/SHS/Belltown
In addition, this is some team-specific information for each team :
Stamford Knights :
- Players must live in the Stamford High School district
- Coaching Staff: Tom McIntosh and John Calo
- Tryouts will be March 2 and 9, from 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm in the Stamford High School Main Gym
- Players must live in the Westhill High School district
- Coaching Staff: Steve Rivera and Gary Ruth
- Tryouts will be March 2 and 9, from 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 pm in the Stamford High School Main Gym
Stamford Warriors (JV):
- Players from both high school districts are eligible
- Manager: Tony Strazza (Coach of the 2017 Champions Rippowam MS) and Jeff Ronaghan
- Players will be selected based on the tryouts on March 2 and 9; there will not be a separate tryout for this team.
Anyone wishing to register for these tryouts must go online to our website and register . There is no cost to do so.